Because of its provincial capital status, the city was also the location of Government House, the residence of the viceregal representative of the Crown in right of Ontario.
Staffed by British Regulars, adult male students underwent a three-month long military course at the School of Military Instruction in Toronto.
Established by Militia General Order in 1864, the school enabled officers of militia or candidates for commission or promotion in the Militia to learn military duties, drill and discipline, to command a company at Battalion Drill, to drill a company at Company Drill, the internal economy of a company, and the duties of a company's officer.
In 1787, the British Lord Dorchester arranged for the Toronto Purchase with the Mississaugas of the New Credit First Nation, thereby securing more than a quarter of a million acres (1000 km In 1793, Governor John Graves Simcoe established the town of York on the Toronto Purchase lands, instead naming it after Prince Frederick, Duke of York and Albany.
Simcoe decided to move the Upper Canada capital from Newark (Niagara-on-the-Lake) to York, The York garrison was constructed at the entrance of the town's natural harbour, sheltered by a long sandbar peninsula.
With 2,731,571 residents in 2016, it is the largest city in Canada and fourth-largest city in North America by population.