It is now known chiefly as a trading centre for a wider agricultural and rural area.
Products from Hereford include: cider, beer, leather goods, nickel alloys, poultry, chemicals, and cattle, including the famous Hereford breed.
With a population of 58,896, it is the largest settlement in the county.
Hereford became the seat of Putta, Bishop of Hereford, some time between AD 676 and 688, after which the settlement continued to grow due to its proximity to the border between Mercia and Wales, becoming the Saxon capital of West Mercia by the beginning of the 8th century.
Hereford was again targeted by the Welsh during their conflict with the Anglo-Saxon King Edward the Confessor in AD 1056 when, supported by Viking allies, Gruffydd ap Llywelyn, King of Gwynedd and Powys, marched on the town and put it to the torch before returning home in triumph.
the full title of each court was The County Court of (county) holden at (location/locations), using the historic county names for England and for Wales.
Thereafter, each court was renamed as (location/s) County Court.
) is a cathedral city, civil parish and county town of Herefordshire, England.